Benefits of bariatric surgery
If you are overweight or obese and still couldn’t lose weight with different diet and exercise, bariatric surgery is the best treatment option. “It is minimally invasive techniques causes weight loss by limiting the amount of food the stomach can hold as well as reducing the medical health problems associated with obesity.” There are considerable benefits of bariatric surgery for obese people including:
- Treat type 2 diabetes. More than 90% of people who suffer from type 2 diabetes are obese so weight loss surgery not only can treat their health problems like diabetes but also provide them a highly qualified life. Weight loss surgery can treat type 2 diabetes in different ways as: effect on the condition of your hormones in your gut and how your body produces insulin, enhance the amount of bile acids in your body that causes your body cells to be more sensitive to insulin, modify the way your cells use insulin and consequently decrease blood sugar levels.
- Relieve depression. Many obese people feel depressed because of their body image and have lower self-esteem in their social relationship. After the bariatric surgery, their body will change as well as their lifestyle. Their self-esteem will increase as they manage their weight and their relationship will improve. Obese people will experience remarkable changes in their emotional state such as depression, insomnia, and anxiety following weight loss surgery.
- Remove sleep apnea. According to different researches, there is a strong relationship between obesity and sleep apnea. Bariatric surgery can improve sleep-related problem caused by obesity such as sleep apnea.
- Modify cardiovascular health. After weight loss surgery cholesterol levels and blood pressure will return to normal or near normal that decrease risk of coronary heart disease, peripheral heart disease, and stroke.
- Improve joint pain. Since you lose much weight following the bariatric surgery, your weight-bearing joints don’t have to carry excessive weight anymore and stop using pain.
- Improve fertility. Bariatric surgery provides you safe and easier fertility during the childbearing years.
Sleeve surgery benefits
Sleeve gastrectomy also called gastric sleeve surgery is a type of weight loss surgery that involves the removal of a large part of your stomach and leaving just a tube-shaped stomach about the size and shape of a banana. This type of weight loss surgery has many advantages such as:
- The smaller part of your stomach work normally the same as the original one and you can still tolerate most foods but in small amounts.
- There is less chance of anemia, intestinal obstruction, osteoporosis, vitamin, and protein deficiency. Because the intestine remains untouched.
- Because of less acid secretion following the sleeve gastrectomy, there is less chance of an ulcer.
- Since in gastric sleeve surgery the upper portion of the stomach, that make hormones which stimulate hunger, is removed so your appetite will decrease.
Bypass surgery advantages
Gastric bypass surgery is a type of bariatric surgery that helps you to lose weight by reducing foods that you can eat. During gastric bypass surgery that also called Roux-en-Y gastric bypass, the surgeon divides the stomach into a small upper section and a larger bottom section. Then a small part of the small intestine will be connecting to a small hole in the pouch. Some benefits of gastric bypass surgery are:
- The amount of weight you can lose following the bypass surgery is considerable because of tighter dietary restrictions and less caloric absorption. Due to great overall weight loss, it can reduce the risk of obesity-related problems like heart disease and hypertension.
- Gastric bypass surgery decreases the risk of hyperlipidemia (high blood cholesterol and triglycerides).
- This type of weight loss surgery is associated with less serious complications and also the risk of death immediately after the operation is only 1-2 percent.
Benefits of adjustable gastric band
- It is the least invasive type of bariatric surgery.
- There is no intestinal rerouting, no cutting or stapling of the bowel or stomach wall.
- Adjustable gastric band surgery is not associated with dumping syndrome.
- It is a removable surgery and you can restore your stomach to its original form.
Generally, weight loss surgery is the best treatment option for obese people that can increase their quality of life and self-esteem. There are significant benefits of bariatric surgery that can change the life of overweight people if it undertakes by an expert bariatric surgeon. Today by the progress in medical science, obesity is senseless and in the future, there will be no one who suffers from obesity-related problems.